Monday 21 January 2008

My family in Gaza



I was in daily contact with my family all over the past weeks trying to get some news about their situation under the siege, some comfort for my worries and some answers for my questions. My mother, who always tries to hide their news of mounting suffering so that I don’t get too much worried, broke into tears saying that cooking gas has ended, there is no electricity and there is a severe shortage in water. There is nothing in Gaza but cold, darkness, anger, hunger and misery. Our life becomes impossible. When and where does this crisis end my beloved daughter? My sister, Samia, who came to visit the family from Gaza snatched the handset from my mum and started to cheer me up saying we have lived this all our life so don’t worry; carry on the celebration for your graduation and don’t forget to have pictures. Your success is our success. We wished to be with you but you know our wishes remain wishes as usual. Take care of yourself and the family and good bye.

The call has ended. There is nothing before my eyes but my mother’s tears and my sister’s shacking voice. There was bitterness in my mouth and silence for seconds. How can I celebrate my success of having my degree while my family is living the worst barbaric siege in modern history?

Yet, I smiled to my friends in London as I didn’t want to spoil the celebration’s spirit and said: my family is fine, they send you their regards but they have shortage in gas for cooking.

No comments:

Palestinian refugees sit at Khan Younis refugee camp

Palestinian refugees sit at Khan Younis refugee camp